Storm safety is about more than just stocking up on snacks. While it can be fun to hunker down with candles and board games, it’s still important to stay safe inside while keeping an eye on what’s going on outside. When the power’s out and the WiFi is down, the experts at ServiceMaster Restore® recommend having the right equipment on hand as part of your storm supplies kit and power outage plan. Read on to learn what gadgets you need to keep safe the next time a big one hits.
- Weather Radio. This one’s a must if you live anywhere that’s subjected to regular or catastrophic storm activity. These radios receive weather emergency information and instructions, tailored to your specific location, from authorities like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Since these radios can run on batteries (or even a hand crank) and receive their signals from nearby transmitters, you can stay informed even when your power and Internet go down.
- Flashlights. Everyone knows you need a flashlight as part of your essential storm supplies, and today’s technology means flashlights are brighter and more reliable than ever before. For starters, always go with an LED flashlight. These varieties tend to have the strongest beams and longest battery life. Water-resistant models are also a good idea, as they won’t go haywire in the rain. (For everyone’s safety, however, ServiceMaster Restore recommends staying indoors during weather emergencies.)Some LED specialty lights for camping are also great for storm safety. Look for ones that are compact, store easily and can float in water. Many heavy-duty LED flashlights run on a rechargeable lithium battery, so keep yours powered up for when the power is down.
- Water Purifiers. If clean water runs low, you’ll be glad you have a purifier on hand. There are filter-based purifiers, but you can also get ones thatuse UV light. Yours should be able to remove pathogens such as bacteria as well as physical sediment.
- Jump Packs. When a storm knocks out power at your home, what you really need is one device that can charge all your most crucial devices, with power to spare. This is where a jump pack comes in handy. These super-batteries can handle everything from jump-starting your car to charging electronics like laptops, tablets and phones. Jump packs often come equipped with extra-bright lights, too, making them a must-have in nighttime or no-power situations.
- Generators. While an ordinary thunderstorm can knock out your electricity for a couple hours, more extreme weather can leave you in the dark for days. If it looks like the power could be out for a while and you still want to be able to use lights, appliances and other essentials, get a generator. Small versions can keep just the basics up and running, while larger generators can power your entire house. Be sure to keep plenty of fuel on hand, safely stored and accessible when you need it.
Here’s hoping weather emergencies don’t impact your family or damage your home. But if residential flood damage or other weather-related mishaps should harm your property, the professionals at ServiceMaster Restore are available to help, 24/7/365. Contact us to put our disaster-restoration expertise to work for you.